Mobility in Horine, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Horine, MO can develop safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life now by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Horine, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Horine, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your freedom. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Horine, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Horine, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Horine, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture pain-free. There are fast breaks to run, your pets to pick up, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Horine, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Horine, MO occupational therapists are essential to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to helping our Horine, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Horine, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a proven plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Horine, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or come see us for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Horine, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is essential in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Balance issues are typically due to:
A professional physical therapist in Horine, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Horine, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Horine, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Horine, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Horine, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.