Mobility in Villa Ridge, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from the activities we love. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Villa Ridge, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and proven solutions that are built specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life now by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that looks like picking up their kids comfortably, while others need to get back to serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Villa Ridge, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This can be anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Villa Ridge, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your independence back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. Our therapists are also experts vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Villa Ridge, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a walker to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Villa Ridge, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Villa Ridge, MO
Needless to say, simply being to move between chairs independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to put food on the table for your Villa Ridge, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Villa Ridge, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Villa Ridge, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is an unexpected pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Villa Ridge, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and develop a successful strategy to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Villa Ridge, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Villa Ridge, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are usually caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Villa Ridge, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Villa Ridge, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Villa Ridge, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of painkillers or opioids
- If applicable, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to increased energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Villa Ridge, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Villa Ridge, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.