Mobility in Holstein, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Holstein, MO offers safe, effective, and proven solutions that are customized specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal movement health and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean walking up the stairs without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Holstein, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This can be anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one surface to a different one, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Holstein, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll create a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Holstein, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Holstein, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually taking you from the first level to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Holstein, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs independently. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Holstein, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Holstein, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Holstein, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you can safely go back to work either fully or in some capacity.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Holstein, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and develop a proven strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Holstein, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Holstein, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Holstein, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Holstein, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Holstein, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Holstein, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Holstein, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We practice a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.