Mobility in Osage Hills, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it keeps us from doing what we love most. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Osage Hills, MO can implement safe, effective, and proven treatment plans that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal movement health and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by scheduling a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that is as simple as walking up the stairs without pain, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Osage Hills, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely move around in their home environment. This can be anything from rolling over in bed or bringing a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting on the couch. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Osage Hills, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to evaluate functional mobility in Osage Hills, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Osage Hills, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Osage Hills, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without assistance. There are corners to burn on the football field, your children to pick up, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can earn a living for your Osage Hills, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Osage Hills, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Osage Hills, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or in some capacity.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Osage Hills, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Osage Hills, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Osage Hills, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Balance issues are typically caused by:
A licensed physical therapist in Osage Hills, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and come up with a treatment plan, based on empirical research to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Osage Hills, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Osage Hills, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on prescription medications
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Osage Hills, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Osage Hills, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We pride ourselves on our leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.