Mobility in Weingarten, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Weingarten, MO can provide you with treatment plans that have been proven to get results and that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible mobility and comfort as soon as possible by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Weingarten, MO residents that looks like getting in and out of a chair without pain, while for others it may mean sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Weingarten, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This includes simple tasks such as moving around in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one place to another, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Weingarten, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your freedom back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Weingarten, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Weingarten, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to verify that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Weingarten, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed without limitations. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the physical demands of the job you perform every day in order to provide for your Weingarten, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Weingarten, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Weingarten, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Weingarten, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate a successful strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Weingarten, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Weingarten, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A licensed physical therapist in Weingarten, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Weingarten, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Weingarten, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the potential to avoid surgery by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Weingarten, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Weingarten, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We practice a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.