Mobility in Crystal City, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Crystal City, MO can implement safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are tailored specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal mobility and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like getting in and out of a chair without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Crystal City, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely move around in their home environment. This can be simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Crystal City, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your autonomy back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll develop a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Crystal City, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Crystal City, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Crystal City, MO
Obviously, simply being to move between chairs independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Crystal City, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Crystal City, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Crystal City, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Crystal City, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a successful plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Crystal City, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Crystal City, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Problems with balance are commonly due to:
A licensed physical therapist in Crystal City, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Crystal City, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Crystal City, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Crystal City, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Crystal City, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.