Mobility in Ranken, MO. Our bodies are meant to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Ranken, MO offers safe, effective, and proven solutions that are customized specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal mobility and comfort now by setting up a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Ranken, MO residents that is as simple as walking up the stairs without pain, while others need to get back to making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever it means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Ranken, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This includes simple tasks such as moving around in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one place to a different one, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Ranken, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you restore your autonomy. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Ranken, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with an assistive device
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the work required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Ranken, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Ranken, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without limitations. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the physical demands of the job you perform every day in order to provide for your Ranken, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Ranken, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Ranken, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. Our Ranken, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Ranken, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Ranken, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically caused by:
An experienced physical therapist in Ranken, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Ranken, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Ranken, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Ranken, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Ranken, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.