Neck Pain Bismarck, MO
Neck Pain Bismarck, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily ignore, real neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a large portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Bismarck, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Bismarck, MO neck pain treatment you need to eliminate your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Bismarck, MO, contact us today.
Bismarck, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Bismarck, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and will usually resolve itself without the need for major treatment. Still, many other Bismarck, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a pain episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Bismarck, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Bismarck, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Bismarck, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Bismarck, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Bismarck, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative modifications to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Bismarck, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Bismarck, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your designated Bismarck, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent additional Bismarck, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most effective method of care in Bismarck, MO, your Axes Bismarck, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may manifest various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a certain period of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Bismarck, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Bismarck, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Bismarck, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Bismarck, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer accessible, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Bismarck, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Bismarck, MO.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Bismarck, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment immediately. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.