Neck Pain Kinloch, MO
Neck Pain Kinloch, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. While the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Kinloch, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Kinloch, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and return you to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Kinloch, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Kinloch, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Kinloch, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually resolve itself without the need for invasive treatment. Still, many other Kinloch, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Kinloch, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Kinloch, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Kinloch, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Kinloch, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Kinloch, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Kinloch, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Kinloch, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Kinloch, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your designated Kinloch, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent additional Kinloch, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the best treatment plan in Kinloch, MO, your Axes Kinloch, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a specific time of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Kinloch, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Kinloch, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Kinloch, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Kinloch, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Kinloch, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Kinloch, MO a reality.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Kinloch, MO area location of your choice. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting a treatment program right away. Get in touch with us today or request an appointment now.