Neck Pain Ethlyn, MO
Neck Pain Ethlyn, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. While the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. As the top Ethlyn, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Ethlyn, MO neck pain treatment that will eliminate your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Ethlyn, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Ethlyn, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Ethlyn, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually subside without requiring major treatment. Still, a lot of other Ethlyn, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a pain episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Ethlyn, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Ethlyn, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Ethlyn, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Ethlyn, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Ethlyn, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Ethlyn, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Ethlyn, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Ethlyn, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your designated Ethlyn, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent further Ethlyn, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate treatment plan in Ethlyn, MO, your Axes Ethlyn, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain part of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Ethlyn, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Ethlyn, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Ethlyn, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Ethlyn, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Ethlyn, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Ethlyn, MO possible.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Ethlyn, MO area location of your choice. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment right away. Reach us today or request an appointment now.