Neck Pain Parkway, MO
Neck Pain Parkway, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Parkway, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Parkway, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and return you to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Parkway, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Parkway, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Parkway, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even improve without requiring extensive treatment. On the other hand, many other Parkway, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a pain episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Parkway, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Parkway, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Parkway, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Parkway, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Parkway, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Parkway, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Parkway, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Parkway, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your designated Parkway, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent further Parkway, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Parkway, MO, your Axes Parkway, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may manifest various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a certain period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
When you meet with your Parkway, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Parkway, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Parkway, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Parkway, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Parkway, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Parkway, MO.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Parkway, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting a treatment program immediately. Contact us today or request an appointment now.