Neck Pain Arcadia, MO
Neck Pain Arcadia, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. While the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Arcadia, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the individualized and proven Arcadia, MO neck pain treatment you need to reduce your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Arcadia, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Arcadia, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Arcadia, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that may even improve without requiring extensive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Arcadia, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Arcadia, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Arcadia, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Arcadia, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Arcadia, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Arcadia, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, Arcadia, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Arcadia, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Arcadia, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your dedicated Arcadia, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent ongoing Arcadia, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most effective treatment plan in Arcadia, MO, your Axes Arcadia, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a specific period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
When you meet with your Arcadia, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Arcadia, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Arcadia, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Arcadia, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, safe, proven neck pain care near Arcadia, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Arcadia, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Arcadia, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program promptly. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.