Neck Pain Hematite, MO
Neck Pain Hematite, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care right away. As the top Hematite, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Hematite, MO neck pain treatment that will extinguish your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Hematite, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Hematite, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Hematite, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even subside without the need for major treatment. Still, many other Hematite, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more pain episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Hematite, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Hematite, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Hematite, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Hematite, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Hematite, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, Hematite, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative adjustments to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Hematite, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Hematite, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your dedicated Hematite, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid additional Hematite, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most effective treatment plan in Hematite, MO, your Axes Hematite, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may be expressed as various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a specific period of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
When you meet with your Hematite, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Hematite, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Hematite, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Hematite, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Hematite, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Hematite, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Hematite, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program immediately. Reach us today or request an appointment now.