Neck Pain Berkeley, MO
Neck Pain Berkeley, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While a figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor annoyance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. As the top Berkeley, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Berkeley, MO neck pain treatment you need to reduce your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To begin receiving the quality Berkeley, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Berkeley, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Berkeley, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and will usually subside without the need for extensive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Berkeley, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience at least one more recurrence of their pain within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Berkeley, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Berkeley, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Berkeley, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Berkeley, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Berkeley, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Berkeley, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Berkeley, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your personal Berkeley, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid ongoing Berkeley, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate treatment plan in Berkeley, MO, your Axes Berkeley, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a certain part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Berkeley, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Berkeley, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Berkeley, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Berkeley, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Berkeley, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Berkeley, MO.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Berkeley, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning your treatment right away. Reach us today or request an appointment now.