Neck Pain Warrenton, MO
Neck Pain Warrenton, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert right away. As the top Warrenton, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Warrenton, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Warrenton, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Warrenton, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Warrenton, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and can often subside without the need for extensive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Warrenton, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a recurrence of their pain within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Warrenton, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Warrenton, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Warrenton, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Warrenton, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Warrenton, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Warrenton, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative modifications to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Warrenton, MO physical therapy program informed by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Warrenton, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your dedicated Warrenton, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid additional Warrenton, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most appropriate method of care in Warrenton, MO, your Axes Warrenton, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates during a specific part of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Warrenton, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Warrenton, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Warrenton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Warrenton, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Warrenton, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Warrenton, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Warrenton, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment right away. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.