Neck Pain Creve Coeur, MO
Neck Pain Creve Coeur, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While a figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Creve Coeur, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Creve Coeur, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Creve Coeur, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Creve Coeur, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Creve Coeur, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually subside without requiring invasive treatment. However, a lot of other Creve Coeur, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience a pain episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Creve Coeur, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Creve Coeur, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Creve Coeur, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Creve Coeur, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Creve Coeur, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Creve Coeur, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative adjustments that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Creve Coeur, MO physical therapy program informed by your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Creve Coeur, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your designated Creve Coeur, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent further Creve Coeur, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best method of care in Creve Coeur, MO, your Axes Creve Coeur, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest various symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a specific time of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
When you meet with your Creve Coeur, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Creve Coeur, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Creve Coeur, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Creve Coeur, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Creve Coeur, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Creve Coeur, MO.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Creve Coeur, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning your treatment immediately. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.