Neck Pain New Town, MO
Neck Pain New Town, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. Though the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild nuisance that you can easily ignore, real neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading New Town, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven New Town, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To discover what we can do to address your New Town, MO neck pain, contact us today.
New Town, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common New Town, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and can often subside without the need for major treatment. Still, a lot of other New Town, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in New Town, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in New Town, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your New Town, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. New Town, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, New Town, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative adjustments that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized New Town, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near New Town, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your dedicated New Town, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent additional New Town, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the best method of care in New Town, MO, your Axes New Town, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may be expressed as various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your New Town, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your New Town, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near New Town, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in New Town, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, low-risk, effective neck pain care near New Town, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near New Town, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the New Town, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right now. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.