Neck Pain Cottleville, MO
Neck Pain Cottleville, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. Though the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek the right care as soon as possible. As the top Cottleville, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Cottleville, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Cottleville, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Cottleville, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Cottleville, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that may even resolve itself without the need for extensive treatment. However, a lot of other Cottleville, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more recurrence of their pain in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Cottleville, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Cottleville, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Cottleville, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Cottleville, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Cottleville, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative adjustments to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Cottleville, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Cottleville, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your dedicated Cottleville, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent ongoing Cottleville, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Cottleville, MO, your Axes Cottleville, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may present different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a certain time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Cottleville, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Cottleville, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Cottleville, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Cottleville, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, safe, proven neck pain care near Cottleville, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Cottleville, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Cottleville, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment right now. Get in touch with us today or fill out an appointment request form now.