Neck Pain Femme Osage, MO
Neck Pain Femme Osage, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild nuisance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek care from an expert right away. As the top Femme Osage, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the individualized and proven Femme Osage, MO neck pain treatment that will eliminate your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Femme Osage, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Femme Osage, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Femme Osage, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually resolve itself without the need for invasive treatment. However, a lot of other Femme Osage, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience at least one more recurrence of their pain within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Femme Osage, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Femme Osage, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Femme Osage, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Femme Osage, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Femme Osage, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Femme Osage, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative adjustments to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Femme Osage, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Femme Osage, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your dedicated Femme Osage, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid additional Femme Osage, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most effective method of care in Femme Osage, MO, your Axes Femme Osage, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a certain time of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Femme Osage, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Femme Osage, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Femme Osage, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Femme Osage, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, safe, effective neck pain care near Femme Osage, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Femme Osage, MO a reality.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Femme Osage, MO area location of your choice. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right now. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.