Neck Pain Hillsboro, MO
Neck Pain Hillsboro, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can easily ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Hillsboro, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and proven Hillsboro, MO neck pain treatment you need to extinguish your pain and return you to what you love. To begin receiving the quality Hillsboro, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Hillsboro, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Hillsboro, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that can often improve without requiring major treatment. However, a lot of other Hillsboro, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience at least one more pain episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain lasting more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Hillsboro, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Hillsboro, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Hillsboro, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Hillsboro, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Hillsboro, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Hillsboro, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Hillsboro, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your personal Hillsboro, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent additional Hillsboro, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Hillsboro, MO, your Axes Hillsboro, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may present different symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a specific part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Hillsboro, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Hillsboro, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment so that we can deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Hillsboro, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Hillsboro, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, safe, proven neck pain care near Hillsboro, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Hillsboro, MO a reality.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Hillsboro, MO area location of your choice. Discover the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment immediately. Contact us today or request an appointment now.