Neck Pain Avon, MO
Neck Pain Avon, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor nuisance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Avon, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Avon, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Avon, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Avon, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Avon, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that may even improve without requiring invasive treatment. However, a lot of other Avon, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a episode in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain lasting more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Avon, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Avon, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Avon, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Avon, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Avon, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, Avon, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative measures to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Avon, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Avon, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your personal Avon, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid additional Avon, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best treatment plan in Avon, MO, your Axes Avon, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a certain time of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Avon, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Avon, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Avon, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Avon, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Avon, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Avon, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Avon, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting a treatment program promptly. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.