Neck Pain Union, MO
Neck Pain Union, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. Though the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Union, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and proven Union, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Union, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Union, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Union, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even subside without the need for invasive treatment. Still, many other Union, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a recurrence of their pain in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Union, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Union, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Union, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Union, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Union, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Union, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Union, MO physical therapy program based on your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Union, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your dedicated Union, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent further Union, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate treatment plan in Union, MO, your Axes Union, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a specific period of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Union, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Union, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Union, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Union, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. We offer accessible, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Union, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Union, MO possible.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Union, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting a treatment program promptly. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.