Neck Pain Beaufort, MO
Neck Pain Beaufort, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. While a figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor annoyance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Beaufort, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the individualized and proven Beaufort, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Beaufort, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Beaufort, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Beaufort, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually subside without the need for invasive treatment. On the other hand, many other Beaufort, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience at least one more pain episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Beaufort, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Beaufort, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Beaufort, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Beaufort, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Beaufort, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, Beaufort, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative adjustments that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Beaufort, MO physical therapy program based on your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Beaufort, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your designated Beaufort, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid further Beaufort, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate treatment plan in Beaufort, MO, your Axes Beaufort, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates during a certain part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Beaufort, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Beaufort, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Beaufort, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Beaufort, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Beaufort, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Beaufort, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Beaufort, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment promptly. Contact us today or request an appointment now.