Neck Pain Hazelwood, MO
Neck Pain Hazelwood, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Hazelwood, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Hazelwood, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Hazelwood, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Hazelwood, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Hazelwood, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that can often subside without the need for invasive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Hazelwood, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Hazelwood, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Hazelwood, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Hazelwood, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Hazelwood, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Hazelwood, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Hazelwood, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Hazelwood, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Hazelwood, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your dedicated Hazelwood, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent ongoing Hazelwood, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Hazelwood, MO, your Axes Hazelwood, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may present different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain period of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Hazelwood, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Hazelwood, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment so that we can deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Hazelwood, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Hazelwood, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Hazelwood, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Hazelwood, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Hazelwood, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting a treatment program promptly. Contact us today or request an appointment now.