Neck Pain Oakville, MO
Neck Pain Oakville, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care right away. As the top Oakville, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Oakville, MO neck pain treatment that will eliminate your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Oakville, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Oakville, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Oakville, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often resolve itself without the need for major treatment. However, a lot of other Oakville, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a recurrence of their pain within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Oakville, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Oakville, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Oakville, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Oakville, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Oakville, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Oakville, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative measures to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Oakville, MO physical therapy program informed by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Oakville, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your dedicated Oakville, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent additional Oakville, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best method of care in Oakville, MO, your Axes Oakville, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may manifest different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a specific time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Oakville, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Oakville, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Oakville, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Oakville, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, safe, proven neck pain care near Oakville, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Oakville, MO possible.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Oakville, MO area location of your choice. Discover the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning your treatment right now. Contact us today or request an appointment now.