Neck Pain Hopewell, MO
Neck Pain Hopewell, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though a figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a significant part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Hopewell, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Hopewell, MO neck pain treatment you need to eliminate your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Hopewell, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Hopewell, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Hopewell, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often resolve itself without requiring invasive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Hopewell, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a recurrence of their pain within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain lasting more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Hopewell, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Hopewell, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Hopewell, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Hopewell, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Hopewell, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Hopewell, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Hopewell, MO physical therapy program informed by your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Hopewell, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your dedicated Hopewell, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Hopewell, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best method of care in Hopewell, MO, your Axes Hopewell, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary indicator of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a specific part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Hopewell, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Hopewell, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Hopewell, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Hopewell, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, safe, proven neck pain care near Hopewell, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Hopewell, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Hopewell, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program immediately. Reach us today or submit an appointment request online now.