Neck Pain Truesdale, MO
Neck Pain Truesdale, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek the right care as soon as possible. As the top Truesdale, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the individualized and proven Truesdale, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and return you to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Truesdale, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Truesdale, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Truesdale, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often subside without the need for major treatment. On the other hand, many other Truesdale, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a recurrence of their pain within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Truesdale, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Truesdale, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Truesdale, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Truesdale, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Truesdale, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Truesdale, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Truesdale, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your designated Truesdale, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Truesdale, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Truesdale, MO, your Axes Truesdale, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may present various symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Truesdale, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Truesdale, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Truesdale, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Truesdale, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Truesdale, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Truesdale, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Truesdale, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right away. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.