Neck Pain Park Hills, MO
Neck Pain Park Hills, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor nuisance that you can easily ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Park Hills, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Park Hills, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and return you to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Park Hills, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Park Hills, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Park Hills, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that may even improve without requiring major treatment. Still, many other Park Hills, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience at least one more episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Park Hills, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Park Hills, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Park Hills, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Park Hills, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Park Hills, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Park Hills, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Park Hills, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Park Hills, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your designated Park Hills, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent ongoing Park Hills, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate treatment plan in Park Hills, MO, your Axes Park Hills, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may be expressed as different symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a certain period of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Park Hills, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Park Hills, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Park Hills, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Park Hills, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Park Hills, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Park Hills, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Park Hills, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment right away. Get in touch with us today or submit an appointment request online now.