Neck Pain Matson, MO
Neck Pain Matson, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can easily disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Matson, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Matson, MO neck pain treatment you need to eliminate your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Matson, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Matson, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Matson, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually resolve itself without the need for invasive treatment. Still, many other Matson, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Matson, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Matson, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Matson, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Matson, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Matson, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, Matson, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative measures to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Matson, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Matson, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your designated Matson, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent additional Matson, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most appropriate treatment plan in Matson, MO, your Axes Matson, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may present different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a specific part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Matson, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Matson, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Matson, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Matson, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, safe, proven neck pain care near Matson, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Matson, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Matson, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning your treatment right now. Get in touch with us today or fill out an appointment request form now.