Neck Pain Horine, MO
Neck Pain Horine, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Horine, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and evidence-based Horine, MO neck pain treatment you need to eliminate your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Horine, MO, contact us today.
Horine, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Horine, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even improve without requiring extensive treatment. However, many other Horine, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience at least one more episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain lasting more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Horine, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Horine, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Horine, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Horine, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Horine, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Horine, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative adjustments that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Horine, MO physical therapy program informed by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Horine, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your personal Horine, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent further Horine, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Horine, MO, your Axes Horine, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may present various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a specific period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Horine, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Horine, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Horine, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Horine, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Horine, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Horine, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Horine, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment promptly. Reach us today or request an appointment now.