Neck Pain Woodson Terrace, MO
Neck Pain Woodson Terrace, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Woodson Terrace, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Woodson Terrace, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Woodson Terrace, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Woodson Terrace, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Woodson Terrace, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often improve without the need for extensive treatment. However, a lot of other Woodson Terrace, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a pain episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Woodson Terrace, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Woodson Terrace, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Woodson Terrace, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Woodson Terrace, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Woodson Terrace, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Woodson Terrace, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Woodson Terrace, MO physical therapy program determined by your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Woodson Terrace, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your dedicated Woodson Terrace, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid ongoing Woodson Terrace, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most effective method of care in Woodson Terrace, MO, your Axes Woodson Terrace, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain time of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Woodson Terrace, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Woodson Terrace, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Woodson Terrace, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Woodson Terrace, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Woodson Terrace, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Woodson Terrace, MO a reality.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Woodson Terrace, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting a treatment program promptly. Get in touch with us today or submit an appointment request online now.