Neck Pain Bonne Terre, MO
Neck Pain Bonne Terre, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. As the top Bonne Terre, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the individualized and evidence-based Bonne Terre, MO neck pain treatment that will extinguish your pain and return you to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Bonne Terre, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Bonne Terre, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Bonne Terre, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually resolve itself without requiring major treatment. Still, many other Bonne Terre, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a recurrence of their pain in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Bonne Terre, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Bonne Terre, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Bonne Terre, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Bonne Terre, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Bonne Terre, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Bonne Terre, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Bonne Terre, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Bonne Terre, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your dedicated Bonne Terre, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Bonne Terre, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate treatment plan in Bonne Terre, MO, your Axes Bonne Terre, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a specific part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Bonne Terre, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Bonne Terre, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Bonne Terre, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Bonne Terre, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Bonne Terre, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Bonne Terre, MO a reality.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Bonne Terre, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning your treatment immediately. Get in touch with us today or fill out an appointment request form now.