Neck Pain Weingarten, MO
Neck Pain Weingarten, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild nuisance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. As the top Weingarten, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Weingarten, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Weingarten, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Weingarten, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Weingarten, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and may even improve without the need for invasive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Weingarten, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a recurrence of their pain within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Weingarten, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Weingarten, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Weingarten, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Weingarten, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Weingarten, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Weingarten, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Weingarten, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Weingarten, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your designated Weingarten, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Weingarten, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most effective method of care in Weingarten, MO, your Axes Weingarten, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a specific part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
When you meet with your Weingarten, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Weingarten, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Weingarten, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Weingarten, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Weingarten, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Weingarten, MO a reality.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Weingarten, MO area location of your choice. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right away. Get in touch with us today or submit an appointment request online now.