Neck Pain Lemay, MO
Neck Pain Lemay, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. As the top Lemay, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Lemay, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and return you to what you love. To begin receiving the quality Lemay, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Lemay, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Lemay, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually resolve itself without requiring extensive treatment. However, many other Lemay, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a pain episode in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Lemay, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Lemay, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Lemay, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Lemay, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Lemay, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, Lemay, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative adjustments that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Lemay, MO physical therapy program informed by your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Lemay, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your personal Lemay, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid ongoing Lemay, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate treatment plan in Lemay, MO, your Axes Lemay, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a specific period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Lemay, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Lemay, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Lemay, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Lemay, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, safe, proven neck pain care near Lemay, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Lemay, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Lemay, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning your treatment right now. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.