Neck Pain Concord, MO
Neck Pain Concord, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can easily ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. As the top Concord, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the personalized and evidence-based Concord, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Concord, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Concord, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Concord, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually improve without requiring major treatment. Still, many other Concord, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience a recurrence of their pain in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Concord, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Concord, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Concord, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Concord, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Concord, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Concord, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Concord, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your dedicated Concord, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent ongoing Concord, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best treatment plan in Concord, MO, your Axes Concord, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a specific time of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
When you meet with your Concord, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Concord, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Concord, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Concord, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. We offer convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Concord, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Concord, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Concord, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment promptly. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.