Neck Pain Festus, MO
Neck Pain Festus, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek the right care as soon as possible. As the top Festus, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the individualized and evidence-based Festus, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and return you to what you love. To begin receiving the quality Festus, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Festus, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Festus, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even resolve itself without requiring major treatment. Still, many other Festus, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a recurrence of their pain within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Festus, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Festus, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Festus, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Festus, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Festus, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Festus, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Festus, MO physical therapy program based on your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Festus, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your designated Festus, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid additional Festus, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Festus, MO, your Axes Festus, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates at a specific part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Festus, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Festus, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Festus, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Festus, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Festus, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Festus, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Festus, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right now. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.