Neck Pain Imperial, MO
Neck Pain Imperial, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. While the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert right away. As the top Imperial, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the individualized and proven Imperial, MO neck pain treatment you need to reduce your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Imperial, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Imperial, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Imperial, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually subside without requiring major treatment. However, many other Imperial, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Imperial, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Imperial, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Imperial, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Imperial, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Imperial, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Imperial, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Imperial, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Imperial, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your dedicated Imperial, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid further Imperial, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate method of care in Imperial, MO, your Axes Imperial, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a specific time of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Imperial, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Imperial, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Imperial, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Imperial, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, safe, effective neck pain care near Imperial, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Imperial, MO.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Imperial, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment immediately. Reach us today or submit an appointment request online now.