Neck Pain Chesterfield, MO
Neck Pain Chesterfield, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, actual neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Chesterfield, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Chesterfield, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Chesterfield, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Chesterfield, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Chesterfield, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and may even subside without the need for invasive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Chesterfield, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience at least one more recurrence of their pain within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain lasting more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Chesterfield, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Chesterfield, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Chesterfield, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Chesterfield, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Chesterfield, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Chesterfield, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Chesterfield, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Chesterfield, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your designated Chesterfield, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent further Chesterfield, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Chesterfield, MO, your Axes Chesterfield, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Chesterfield, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Chesterfield, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Chesterfield, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Chesterfield, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, safe, proven neck pain care near Chesterfield, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Chesterfield, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Chesterfield, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right now. Contact us today or request an appointment now.