Neck Pain St. Genevieve, MO
Neck Pain St. Genevieve, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor nuisance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading St. Genevieve, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based St. Genevieve, MO neck pain treatment that will eliminate your pain and return you to what you love. To begin receiving the quality St. Genevieve, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
St. Genevieve, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of St. Genevieve, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually subside without the need for major treatment. However, many other St. Genevieve, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a pain episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in St. Genevieve, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in St. Genevieve, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in St. Genevieve, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for St. Genevieve, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. St. Genevieve, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. St. Genevieve, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality St. Genevieve, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near St. Genevieve, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your dedicated St. Genevieve, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent additional St. Genevieve, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the best method of care in St. Genevieve, MO, your Axes St. Genevieve, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as different symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a certain part of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your St. Genevieve, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated St. Genevieve, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near St. Genevieve, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in St. Genevieve, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer accessible, safe, proven neck pain care near St. Genevieve, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in St. Genevieve, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the St. Genevieve, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting a treatment program promptly. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.