Neck Pain Wickes, MO
Neck Pain Wickes, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. While a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Wickes, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Wickes, MO neck pain treatment that will eliminate your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Wickes, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Wickes, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Wickes, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often subside without the need for extensive treatment. Still, a lot of other Wickes, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience at least one more recurrence of their pain within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Wickes, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Wickes, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Wickes, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Wickes, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Wickes, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Wickes, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Wickes, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Wickes, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your designated Wickes, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae relieves pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid ongoing Wickes, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate treatment plan in Wickes, MO, your Axes Wickes, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary indicator of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may manifest various symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a specific part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Wickes, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Wickes, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Wickes, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Wickes, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Wickes, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Wickes, MO.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Wickes, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment right now. Reach us today or submit an appointment request online now.