Neck Pain Crestwood, MO
Neck Pain Crestwood, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek care from an expert right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Crestwood, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Crestwood, MO neck pain treatment you need to reduce your pain and return you to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Crestwood, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Crestwood, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Crestwood, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually subside without the need for extensive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Crestwood, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience at least one more pain episode in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Crestwood, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Crestwood, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Crestwood, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Crestwood, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Crestwood, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Crestwood, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Crestwood, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your dedicated Crestwood, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent ongoing Crestwood, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most appropriate method of care in Crestwood, MO, your Axes Crestwood, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may manifest different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a certain period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Crestwood, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Crestwood, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Crestwood, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Crestwood, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer accessible, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Crestwood, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Crestwood, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Crestwood, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment right away. Contact us today or request an appointment now.