Neck Pain Maryland Heights, MO
Neck Pain Maryland Heights, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert right away. As the top Maryland Heights, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the personalized and proven Maryland Heights, MO neck pain treatment you need to eliminate your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Maryland Heights, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Maryland Heights, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Maryland Heights, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often resolve itself without the need for major treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Maryland Heights, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Maryland Heights, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Maryland Heights, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Maryland Heights, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Maryland Heights, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Maryland Heights, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, Maryland Heights, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative adjustments to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Maryland Heights, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Maryland Heights, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your personal Maryland Heights, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Maryland Heights, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate treatment plan in Maryland Heights, MO, your Axes Maryland Heights, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may manifest different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates at a certain part of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Maryland Heights, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Maryland Heights, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Maryland Heights, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Maryland Heights, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Maryland Heights, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Maryland Heights, MO.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Maryland Heights, MO area location of your choice. Discover the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment promptly. Contact us today or request an appointment now.