Neck Pain Ferguson, MO
Neck Pain Ferguson, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care right away. As the top Ferguson, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the individualized and evidence-based Ferguson, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Ferguson, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Ferguson, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Ferguson, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that may even subside without the need for extensive treatment. However, many other Ferguson, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience at least one more recurrence of their pain within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Ferguson, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Ferguson, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Ferguson, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Ferguson, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Ferguson, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Ferguson, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Ferguson, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Ferguson, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your personal Ferguson, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid further Ferguson, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most effective method of care in Ferguson, MO, your Axes Ferguson, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary indicator of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a certain period of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Ferguson, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Ferguson, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Ferguson, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Ferguson, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, safe, proven neck pain care near Ferguson, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Ferguson, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Ferguson, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting a treatment program right now. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.