Neck Pain Moscow Mills, MO
Neck Pain Moscow Mills, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Moscow Mills, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Moscow Mills, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Moscow Mills, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Moscow Mills, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Moscow Mills, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and may even subside without requiring extensive treatment. However, many other Moscow Mills, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience at least one more episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Moscow Mills, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Moscow Mills, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Moscow Mills, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Moscow Mills, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Moscow Mills, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Moscow Mills, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative adjustments to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Moscow Mills, MO physical therapy program determined by your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Moscow Mills, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your designated Moscow Mills, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae relieves pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent further Moscow Mills, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate treatment plan in Moscow Mills, MO, your Axes Moscow Mills, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a certain time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Moscow Mills, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Moscow Mills, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Moscow Mills, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Moscow Mills, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Moscow Mills, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Moscow Mills, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Moscow Mills, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program immediately. Reach us today or submit an appointment request online now.