Neck Pain Herculaneum, MO
Neck Pain Herculaneum, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Herculaneum, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Herculaneum, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Herculaneum, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Herculaneum, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Herculaneum, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and can often resolve itself without requiring invasive treatment. However, many other Herculaneum, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience at least one more episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Herculaneum, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Herculaneum, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Herculaneum, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Herculaneum, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Herculaneum, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Herculaneum, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Herculaneum, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Herculaneum, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your designated Herculaneum, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Herculaneum, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the best method of care in Herculaneum, MO, your Axes Herculaneum, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may present different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a specific part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Herculaneum, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Herculaneum, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Herculaneum, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Herculaneum, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Herculaneum, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Herculaneum, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Herculaneum, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning your treatment immediately. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.