Neck Pain South County, MO
Neck Pain South County, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can easily disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading South County, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven South County, MO neck pain treatment that will extinguish your pain and return you to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your South County, MO neck pain, contact us today.
South County, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of South County, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and can often subside without requiring major treatment. However, a lot of other South County, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a pain episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in South County, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in South County, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in South County, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for South County, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. South County, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, South County, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized South County, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near South County, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your dedicated South County, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent further South County, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in South County, MO, your Axes South County, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as different symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates at a certain period of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your South County, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your South County, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near South County, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in South County, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, safe, proven neck pain care near South County, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near South County, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide the highest quality neck pain care in the South County, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment right now. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.