Neck Pain Desoto, MO
Neck Pain Desoto, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. As the top Desoto, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Desoto, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Desoto, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Desoto, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Desoto, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even improve without the need for major treatment. On the other hand, many other Desoto, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience at least one more episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Desoto, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Desoto, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Desoto, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Desoto, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Desoto, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative adjustments that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Desoto, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Desoto, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your designated Desoto, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid further Desoto, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate treatment plan in Desoto, MO, your Axes Desoto, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may present different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a certain part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Desoto, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Desoto, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Desoto, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Desoto, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Desoto, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Desoto, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Desoto, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right now. Get in touch with us today or request an appointment now.