Neck Pain Gilmore, MO
Neck Pain Gilmore, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor nuisance that you can easily ignore, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Gilmore, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the individualized and proven Gilmore, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Gilmore, MO, contact us today.
Gilmore, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Gilmore, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often subside without requiring extensive treatment. On the other hand, many other Gilmore, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience at least one more pain episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Gilmore, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Gilmore, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Gilmore, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Gilmore, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Gilmore, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Gilmore, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Gilmore, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Gilmore, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your designated Gilmore, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Gilmore, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate method of care in Gilmore, MO, your Axes Gilmore, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may manifest various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates during a specific time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Gilmore, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Gilmore, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Gilmore, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Gilmore, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Gilmore, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Gilmore, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Gilmore, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment immediately. Contact us today or request an appointment now.