Neck Pain Sunset Hills, MO
Neck Pain Sunset Hills, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a minor annoyance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. As the top Sunset Hills, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the individualized and proven Sunset Hills, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To begin receiving the quality Sunset Hills, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Sunset Hills, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Sunset Hills, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even improve without the need for invasive treatment. However, a lot of other Sunset Hills, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more recurrence of their pain within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Sunset Hills, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Sunset Hills, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Sunset Hills, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Sunset Hills, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Sunset Hills, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Sunset Hills, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Sunset Hills, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Sunset Hills, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your dedicated Sunset Hills, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent additional Sunset Hills, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate treatment plan in Sunset Hills, MO, your Axes Sunset Hills, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Sunset Hills, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Sunset Hills, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Sunset Hills, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Sunset Hills, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Sunset Hills, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Sunset Hills, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Sunset Hills, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program promptly. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.