Neck Pain Potosi, MO
Neck Pain Potosi, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While a figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can easily ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Potosi, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Potosi, MO neck pain treatment that will extinguish your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Potosi, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Potosi, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Potosi, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually resolve itself without the need for extensive treatment. On the other hand, many other Potosi, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience at least one more recurrence of their pain within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain lasting more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Potosi, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Potosi, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Potosi, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Potosi, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Potosi, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Potosi, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Potosi, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Potosi, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your personal Potosi, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid ongoing Potosi, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate method of care in Potosi, MO, your Axes Potosi, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may be expressed as different symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a specific time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Potosi, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Potosi, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Potosi, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Potosi, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. We offer accessible, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Potosi, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Potosi, MO possible.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Potosi, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program promptly. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.